Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -LegacyBuild Academy
Surpassing:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 17:18:01
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Surpassingagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Another political party in North Carolina OK’d for fall; 2 others remain in limbo
- Navy sailor tried to access Biden's medical records multiple times
- Senate Democrats ask Garland to name special counsel to investigate Clarence Thomas
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Fraternity and sorority suspended as Dartmouth student’s death investigated
- Joe Hendry returns to NXT, teams with Trick Williams to get first WWE win
- Gypsy Rose Blanchard is pregnant: 'I want to be everything my mother wasn't'
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Meagan Good says 'every friend advised' she not date Jonathan Majors amid criminal trial
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Baptized by Messi? How Lamine Yamal's baby photos went viral during Euros, Copa America
- Judge cites ‘hyper-religious’ belief in ruling man incompetent for trial in Minnesota killings
- Nearly 2 million still without power in Texas: See outage map
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Vice President Harris stops by US Olympic basketball practice. Her message: ‘Bring back the gold’
- Family wants 'justice' for Black man who died after being held down by security at Milwaukee Hyatt
- Stephen Baldwin Supports Brother Alec Baldwin at Rust Shooting Trial
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Number of passenger complaints continue to soar at these 3 airlines
Another political party in North Carolina OK’d for fall; 2 others remain in limbo
Philadelphia won’t seek death penalty in Temple U. officer’s death. Colleagues and family are upset
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Is Mercury in retrograde right now? Here's what the planetary shift means for you.
Fraternity and sorority suspended as Dartmouth student’s death investigated
Trump-appointed judge in Alaska resigns over sexual misconduct, leaving only 1 judge in state